4th Birthday Photo Session

4th Birthday Photo Session

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Lighting Up The Town!

Tonight, we went to the Light The Night walk to raise funds & awareness for the Lymphoma & Leukemia Society.  Prior to meeting our friends to celebrate the health of one amazing survivor we feel honored to know, we had to get gussied up for our big night out.  When Andi awoke from her nap, well, when I woke her, we had a quick bath and then got dressed up to go paint the town a lovely shade of pretty.  As only a bean can do.  Prior to departure though, we had to snap a few pictures, to capture the outfit.  A cute little animal print and her jean jumper, all topped off with her pink Converse.  Yes, it's fall in the PNW, time to throw all the shorts, short sleeves and sandals into the donation bags.

"Do You Like My Outfit?"


*raspberry* "uh, I don't care if you like it or not!"
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, is something new I learned from the Peds GI nurse yesterday.  Andi can now be submerged in her bathtub.  I know that sounds weird, but, Andi has never been in water above her belly-button. My thought process was that if her g-tube leaked that much going out, how much would she take-in and... could it drown her?! She said no, but understood why I was so cautious.  She said it wouldn't be any worse than a kid drinking their bathwater. Because she has her central line ports, those aren't supposed to get wet.  So, therefore, I will try adding more water to the tub when she gets that line out!

So, the walk was pretty spectacular.  They handed out balloons with light inside of them.  Red balloons indicated support.  White balloons indicated survivor.  Gold balloons remembered someone.  It was pretty cool to walk with all these people, at night, in the rainy/misty fall Portland night.  What bothered me was all the kids I saw walking for the cause, let alone the one carrying a white balloon. It just seems like kids shouldn't have any concept of the word, cancer.  It's something that I'm very sick about, and don't understand why with all our advances, do we still not know diddly about diddly. This is a subject I intend to write about another time, as it has been rattling around the noggin lately.  I've got to find a place to put those thoughts, throw them somewhere, so I can get some peace.  If even for a moment.

Tonight, everyone was surprised how Andi stayed awake throughout the entire evening experience. I explained that she's really social and doesn't let herself sleep, seemingly for fear that she might miss out on something.  She was not pleased when I got her in her car seat, but before the truck left the parking lot, she was zonked out.  Other than seeing a lot of different people, she really enjoyed seeing the fireworks they shot off in honor of the walk.  It was a fun night, I'm so glad we were able to participate this year!


2 comments:

  1. Love love love the outfit! So adorable. It's still in the 80's here so no fall outfits yet. So happy to hear about the weight gain!
    Grow Andi grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hD THIS POST IN MY MIND FOR A FEW DAYS TO COMMENT TO SINCE I SAW IT I HAVE TO SAY i agree with you BUT NOT JSUT KIDS no one should know bout cancer OR ASNY OF THOSE HORRIBLE THINGS FOR THAT MATTERI I THINK YOU READ EVA AND HER MUMMYS BLOG DONT YOU CRYS HAS IT NOW ALL THREE OF HER KIDS KNOW THE WORDS COZ CRYS HAS BEEN BATTLING MELANOMAS WE R JSUT LUCKY THAT OUR LITTLE EVA BEING A CHARGER AND WE SAY CHARGERS YUNDERSTAND EVERYTHING ACCORDING TO CRYSTAL SHE DOENST UNDERSTNAD CANCER AND TO ME THAT IS A GOOD THING lol LOVE U

    ReplyDelete